Saturday, May 26, 2012

Touch of a heart!!


It was a busy morning, about 8:30, when an elderly gentleman in his 80′s arrived at the hospital to have stitches removed from his thumb. He said he was in a hurry as he had an appointment at 9:00 am. The nurse took his vital signs and had him take a seat, knowing it would be over an hour before someone would be able to see him. I saw him looking at his watch and decided, since I was not busy with another patient, I would evaluate his wound. On exam, it was well healed, so I talked to one of the doctors, got the needed supplies to remove his sutures and redress his wound. While taking care of his wound, I asked him if he had another doctor’s appointment this morning, as he was in such a hurry. The gentleman told me no, that he needed to go to the nursing home to eat breakfast with his wife. I inquired as to her health. He told me that she had been there for a while and that she was a victim of Alzheimer’s Disease. As we talked, I asked if she would be upset if he was a bit late. He replied that she no longer knew who he was, that she had not recognized him in five years now. I was surprised, and asked him, ‘And you still go every morning, even though she doesn’t know who you are?’ He smiled as he patted my hand and said, ‘She doesn’t know me, but I still know who she is
لقد قاربت دقات الساعه ان  تشيرالى 8:30 صباحا, فإذا برجل ثمانيني يدخل الى المستشفى ليجري عملية ازالة الغرز من ابهامه, لقد قال انه في عجلة من امره وان لديه موعد في تمام الساعه التاسعه, اخذت الممرضة ملف المريض واخذته لكي يستريح على المقعد الى ان يحين دوره , وكنت موقنا بأنه سيستغرق موضوعه اكثر من ساعه الى ان يرى الطبيب, ورأيته ينظر الى ساعته وعندها قررت بأنه لطالما انني لست مشغولة و بأمكاني مساعدته فقمت بتقييم جرحه فوجدته قد شفي تماماً وطلبت من احد الأطباء بتزويدي بالمواد المطلوبة لازالة الغرز, فسألته هل لديك موعد مع طبيب آخر لهذا تبدوا مستعجلً؟ فأجابني لا بل اريد الذهاب الى بيت العجزة حيث زوجتي بانتظاري لنتناول طعام الافطار معاً, فسألته عن مرض زوجته فقال لي بأنه موجودة هنالك منذ فترة وأنها تعاني من مرض الزهايمر, وبينما كنا نتبادل الحديث سألته ان كانت سوف تغضب في حال تأخره عنها قليلا, فأجابني بأنها لم تعد تعلم من هو وبأنها لم تتعرف عليه منذ خمس سنوات. لقد دهشت لما سمعت وسألته ومع هذا انت لا تزال تذهب اليها يوميا كل صباح لتتناول طعام الافطار معها وهي لا تعرف من أنت؟؟ فتبسم لي ومسح على يدي قائلا, هي لا تعرفني ولكنني لا ازال اعرفها ....  

No comments:

Post a Comment